Share Sunday 17 October 2010 11:04 pm More From Our Partners Astounding Fossil Discovery in California After Man Looks Closelygoodnewsnetwork.orgRussell Wilson, AOC among many voicing support for Naomi Osakacbsnews.comBrave 7-Year-old Boy Swims an Hour to Rescue His Dad and Little Sistergoodnewsnetwork.orgMark Eaton, former NBA All-Star, dead at 64nypost.comNative American Tribe Gets Back Sacred Island Taken 160 Years Agogoodnewsnetwork.orgA ProPublica investigation has caused outrage in the U.S. this weekvaluewalk.comPolice Capture Elusive Tiger Poacher After 20 Years of Pursuing the Huntergoodnewsnetwork.orgI blew off Adam Sandler 22 years ago — and it’s my biggest regretnypost.com980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuationsnypost.com Show Comments ▼ Tags: NULL whatsapp whatsapp KCS-content ECB’s Trichet rejects view of Weber on bond buying EUROPEAN Central Bank (ECB) president Jean-Claude Trichet has taken issue with recent comments on ECB policy by Bundesbank chief Axel Weber, saying they did not represent the views of the central bank’s governing council.In an interview with an Italian newspaper yesterday, Trichet said the governing council as a whole did not agree with Weber’s remark last week that the ECB’s government bond-buying programme had not worked and should be scrapped.“No! This is not the position of the Governing Council, with an overwhelming majority,” he said, according to an English transcript of the interview published on the ECB’s website. “This non-standard measure, like all other such measures, was designed to help restore a more normal functioning of our monetary policy transmission mechanism. And we are withdrawing all the liquidity, euro for euro, that is supplied through this programme,” he said.He also struck a less hawkish note on interest rate policy than Weber, an influential member of the governing council and one of the top candidates to take over when Trichet’s own ECB term expires next year.
Prior to this, he spent nine-and-a-half years as head of casino platform at Mansion. 14th June 2021 | By Robert Fletcher PlayStar appoints Bet365’s Alexander as chief operating officer Topics: People People moves Online casino start-up PlayStar has appointed Dan Alexander, previously head of casino at Bet365, as its chief operating officer. As COO, Alexander will help build the foundations of the brand’s online casino product and also play a central role in growing the start-up’s team. Alexander joins PlayStar after three-and-a-half years leading the casino unit at Bet365, a role in which he oversaw the brand’s expansion into new global markets and managed a team responsible for more than 10 international gaming licenses. People moves Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Read the full story on iGB North America. Email Address Tags: Bet365 PlayStar Dan Alexander “PlayStar’s approach of combining cutting-edge technology with an exceptional team is a proven formula for success and I am excited to be contributing to what will be an incredible journey,” Alexander said. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter read more
For the first time, BT is giving people across the UK the chance to become the new permanent voice of the BT Speaking Clock, in a competition that will raise funds for BBC Children in Need.The BT Speaking Clock will have a new voice to help celebrate its 70th birthday. A competition phone line will be open from Monday 23 October until midnight on Sunday 05 November 2006. Calls to the competition number 09067 533 533 will cost no more than £1.50, with £1.10 going straight to BBC Children in Need.The new “permanent” voice will officially go live on the BT Speaking Clock in the New Year. Advertisement AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Fundraising for Children in Need at the third stroke 19 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Tagged with: corporate About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Howard Lake | 22 October 2006 | News So far, only three voices have been used (Jane Cain 1936-1963, Pat Simmons 1963-1984 and Brian Cobby 1985-present), apart from a two week period in March 2003 when Lenny Henry recorded a special version in aid of Comic Relief, and again, later that same year, when 12-year-old Alicia Roland won the same opportunity, this time for ChildLine.Brian Cobby, the current voice, was also the voice of ‘5-4-3-2-1 Thunderbirds are go!’ in the famous Gerry Anderson TV series.Sir Christopher Bland, chairman of BT, said: “Even though we live in the Digital Age, more than 70 million calls are made each year to the BT Speaking Clock to get an accurate time check.”The competition is open to men and women of course. However, in 1936, it was decided that the voice of the Speaking Clock should be female because the General Post Office felt it to be a better quality of voice than a man’s. read more
April 1, 2020 Find out more News Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting News News Help by sharing this information PeruAmericas Reporters Without Borders condemns recent threats and intimidation in the Amazonian departments of Loreto and Ucayali against Julia Saldaña Eguren of the daily La República and Rodolfo Lobo Tello, the manager of radio Feroz de Contamana. The organisation voices concern about a rapid deterioration in press freedom in this part of Peru. Reporter Julia Saldaña of the La República newspaper continues to be the target of threatening SMS text messages sent to the mobile phones of family members. The messages warn her that people plan to discredit her by meddling in her private life. Saldaña said she is not sure who is sending the messages but notes that they began after she wrote stories about irregularities in certain regional state bodies. She fears for her life, she said._________________________________________________________________________14.09.05 – Death threats against two journalists in Amazonian northeastReporters Without Borders today condemned the death threats and intimidation targeted in the past few days and weeks against two journalists working in the northeastern Amazonian departments of Loreto and Ucayali, Julia Saldaña Eguren of the national daily La República and Rodolfo Lobo Tello of radio Feroz de Contamana.“Northern Peru has become a minefield for the media,” the organisation said. “Harassment, intimidation and attacks against journalists have increased to such a degree that they threaten the freedom of the press. We once again call on the police and judicial authorities to punish those responsible and ensure that journalists in this part of the country are safe.”Saldaña, who is her newspaper’s correspondent in Iquitos (the capital of Loreto), reported on 7 September that she had received repeated threats during the past month in the form of SMS messages sent to the mobile phone of her father, Elmer Saldaña Ruiz. The messages said she would be killed if she did not leave the region. Then, on 12 September, she reported that a suspicious-looking pickup truck was seen driving around near her home. She attributes the threats to articles she wrote for La República exposing administrative irregularities in the Loreto departmental government and the Maquía district municipal government, including questionable contracts for the building of a stadium in Iquitos.The manager of radio Feroz de Contamana, Lobo was threatened on the night of 8 September at his home in Contamana (in Ucayali department) by an anonymous caller who blamed him for the collapse of his business. Lobo attributed the threat to his recent radio reports about drug trafficking that led to the arrests of several suspected traffickers.Reporters Without Borders has registered a total of 36 cases of verbal threats or physical attacks against Peruvian journalists so far this year. The National Association of Peruvian Journalists (ANP) has registered a total of 66 press freedom violations in the same period. Receive email alerts to go further October 26, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporter continues to get threatening SMS messages Organisation News Follow the news on Peru PeruAmericas February 10, 2017 Find out more RSF_en Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites December 4, 2019 Find out more read more
WhatsApp DIVORCE in Limerick has risen by almost 14 percent, at a time when marital break-up is dropping in many other counties. But the latest available figures also reveal that many couples are too poor to separate. Instead they are, according to a family law practitioner in Limerick, making arrangements for one spouse to live in the attic or an outhouse, while the other lives in the family home. Figures obtained by the Limerick Post show the increase, compared to Cork, where divorce was down by 15.5% in the same period and Waterford where numbers of couples finally splitting up was down by a massive 50%.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Verena Tarpey, who works with the busy family law advice service at the Limerick Citizen’s Information Centre says the couples who go the court route are just the tip of the iceberg.“More marriages are breaking down because of the economic recession,” she told the Limerick Post.“A lot of couples can’t afford any kind of separation. They are making informal arrangements, with separate living quarters in the same house as they can’t afford separate accommodation”.Couples are making use of converted attics and outhouses to cope with their break-ups, she said.‘It’s a fact that some of the secondary results of economic recession can be alcohol abuse and domestic violence. We are certainly seeing couples whose relationships have been under such pressure because of unemployment or money problems that they are splitting up”.The solicitor said that couples without money are increasingly dealing with the breakdown of their marriages through means other than the courts.“It’s far more common in Limerick now for couples to seek a mediated separation rather than engaging solicitors and that is to be welcomed.“It’s also a less expensive option and they draw up the agreement themselves. Judges are honouring these agreements when people get as far as court,” said Ms Tarpey Twitter NewsLocal NewsDivorce up but many too poor to separateBy admin – August 23, 2012 522 Facebook Print Linkedin Email Advertisement Previous articleCouncil seeks reversal of ‘scandalous cut’Next articleTargeted policing sees city crime drop admin read more
NewsLocal NewsFears over €190 million lease offer for landfill site in County LimerickBy Alan Jacques – September 11, 2014 715 Previous articlePhil Hogan appoints Limerick-born Peter as his Head of CabinetNext articleNew Church of Ireland bishop for Limerick Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie A JOINT bid for the lease on the Gortadroma landfill in County Limerick by two American companies to develop a gasification plant and create 180 new jobs, has raised serious concerns among councillors in the Adare-Rathkeale area.Cadence EnvironPower (CEP), are proposing to convert 1,000 tonnes of municipal solid waste a day into syngas at the Ballyhahill site if their bid for the landfill lease is successful. Gasification converts sustainable feed stocks such as biomass or waste into electricity and is said to generate 100 times less emissions than incineration.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Councillors from the Adare-Rathkeale ward were told this week that traffic and production would both increase “threefold” at the landfill if the American bid was successful. In operation since 1990, Gortadroma closed to commercial waste earlier this year.Estimated to be worth €190 million over 30 years, CEP will pay Limerick City and County Council a lump sum of €50,000 on the signing of the lease agreement for the landfill. On receipt of all necessary consents and closure of their debt financing, they will then pay the local authority a further lump sum of €4 million.According to CEP’s lease submission, the joint bid from Cadence Infrastructure LLC and EnvironPower Management Incorporated, expects construction and commissioning to take one year. When operations get under way, they will pay the council €4million a year for 30 years.However, Cathaoirleach of Limerick City and County Council, Cllr Kevin Sheahan (FF), said while he would embrace the creation of 180 new jobs, he had huge fears for the local community.“There’s a lot of unknowns and I won’t buy into it yet. I’m scared for the local people and I’m scared for Limerick City and County Council of the consequences.“I will have to see one of the existing gasification plants in operation in the Far East. That’s not a junket, that’s hard work. I won’t be happy until I see it for myself. I’ve been to Asia and you can’t even see the sun because there’s so much clouds created by industry. They do not maintain the same high standards as we do in the West for the environment, so it’s not the highest reference point,” he claimed.Fianna Fail councillor Richard O’Donoghue warned that the elected representatives for the Adare-Rathkeale area would not let anything damage the ward’s people and environment.“We’re tough. We’re strong. We will stand up for the Rathkeale people,” he declared.Independent councillor Emmett O’Brien pointed out that if something seems to good to be true then it usually is, while Fine Gael councillor Stephen Keary suggested councillors keep and open mind and not be sceptical.“This could be a chance to be innovative,” said Cllr Keary.Limerick City and County Council’s district director for Adare-Rathkeale, Tom Gilligan announced that the joint bid has still to go through a number of steps, but described the proposal as “exciting” and with “potential”.“We have to look at all aspects of it,” said Mr Gilligan. Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WhatsApp Advertisement Print TAGSAdare-Rathkeale municipal districtBallyhahillCadence EnvironPower (CEP)Gortadroma landfilllimerickLimerick City and County Council Email Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Twitter Linkedin Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live read more
By Digital AIM Web Support – February 24, 2021 Never too late: Pandemic propels older shoppers online Pinterest Facebook Lynnette White uses her tablet while bing interviewed in San Francisco, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021. The pandemic has sparked a surge of online shopping across all ages as people stay away from physical stores. But the biggest growth has come from consumers 65 and older. Twitter WhatsApp Local NewsBusinessPeopleLifestyleUS News WhatsApp Facebook Twitter TAGS Previous articleOne-of-a-kind Cancelo sparks City’s 2-0 win v Gladbach in CLNext articleHIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL: Panthers not taking anything for granted in new season Digital AIM Web Support Pinterest read more
Homepage BannerNews Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Facebook WhatsApp By News Highland – May 10, 2021 Protest in Carndonagh amid calls for block supplier boycott Google+ Pinterest Facebook Previous articleDeclan Boyle returns to managementNext articleDonegal included in latest thunderstorm warning News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Twitter Google+ A large crowd has gathered outside a construction site in Carndonagh as mica-affected homeowners stage a protest.A spokesperson for the protestors claimed the contractors on the site are sourcing blocks from a company which previously provided mica affected blocks in Inishowen and elsewhere in Donegal.At the weekend, graffiti emerged on fencing around the site, calling for a boycott of the block suppliers. Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme WhatsApp Pinterest Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further read more